Saturday, June 28, 2008

LDS

I was just skipping around the internet and came across this.
The effort to more clearly distinguish Mormons from the Texas polygamist group follows a survey commissioned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints that found a high level of public awareness of stories about the polygamous compound near San Angelo, Texas. Allegations of child abuse led to a raid by the state's Child Protective Services earlier this year. Some 91 percent of respondents had heard or read stories surrounding the religious compound.
However, the survey also found that:
  • More than a third of those surveyed (36 percent) erroneously thought that the Texas compound was part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or "Mormon Church" based in Salt Lake City
  • 6 percent said the two groups were partly related.
  • 29 percent correctly said the two groups were not connected at all
  • 29 percent were not sure.
In addition, when asked specifically which religious organization members of the polygamous group belonged to:
  • 30 percent said "Mormon," "LDS" or "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints"
  • 14 percent said "FLDS"
  • 6 percent said "Mormon fundamentalists"
  • Nearly half (44 percent) were unsure

Now aren't those scary! It looks like we need to do some work, telling people the truth!
Now on a personal level, my Mom came up to visit and asked about this group of people. She also thought we were the same. So when I say 'we', I really mean me. This lead me to think about my role as a Mormon. What kind of missionary am I? I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. I wouldn't be here today if my friends in junior high weren't brave enough to share with me what they know. I'm sooo grateful for them. I just think of what kind of image I give of the church. I hope that it's good. I now have a new light on the subject and hope to be better!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just because you are worried about it makes you a good example of a "Mormon". Those stastics are scary...I'm not going to lie!

I did a post that said, LDS does not equal FLDS and linked it to a great article that was funny also and explained how we are not connected!

Great article though!

Melinda H. said...

It is scary that people don't get that we are totally separate from FLDS. My blog is not private. It may have just had a glitch. If it were private and you tried to link from someone elses, I think that you still need an invitation. I try to link to friends from other friends and it tells me that I am not invited.

Rachel Holloway said...

Hey--what a great post! Thanks for sharing!

How funny you came across my blog on that particular post! THANK YOU, THANK YOU for letting me know!! I love knowing who is stopping by! :)

Am going to have to check in here often! What a cute little family you have!

Janice {Run Far} said...

Wow- Thanks for opening my mind to this issue..... I guess if you call it that. Do you mind if I copy your post for some of my readers? I have several that are not LDS and do not know much about our religion.

Thanks for stopping by and when time permits it, I will be back to read more.

Taron Anderton Deeds said...

When in doubt people can blame the Mormons......It is the devil working on people as a whole